Friday, May 16, 2008

Some more great birdhouses

Well, it's been a few days since I added some birdhouses that Ambre had done. She has really made good use of her time off from school. She has made some more birdhouses and a couple of cups. I'm going to show these and some close-ups of detail on a few. These houses will be dry enough in about 5 days that we can bisque fire them in the kiln and then they will be ready to glaze. First we have two houses. One of them is made with two different clays that has been swirled.


The second one is a double tier one that kind of resembles a dome on top of the Kremlin in Moscow. Next we have a couple of coffee cups with handles.
Beautiful, aren't they. They will be gorgeous when they have been glazed. Next we have two different sized and shaped ones with ribbing. I think these are going to sell like hotcakes.
The ribbing is created by turning the wheel while pressing against the clay with a small carving tool. It's very easy to do but she has to take care that she doesn't cut all the way through because the walls on the house are thin.

This one is especially beautiful. Ambre carved three wicked trees in it. I am going to show the view all the way around, so you can see all sides.

This is the back and left sides.

And here we have the full left side with a Welcome sign for the bird to come on in and make himself a home.

I think these are two of my favorites, they also resembles the dome caps on the Kremlin. Ambre added a twisted embellishment around the doors on these. The next picture will show some of that detail.
These last two that Ambre made are both double tiered. The solid one is actually the one in the first picture with the door cut in. The second one is a double tiered swirl pattern.
Now, last but not least, I'm going to throw in a couple of items I made from slabwork. Slabwork is made by taking a large lump of clay and running it between two rollers to flatten it out. You can then cut and shape it into different things and even use molds and forms to shape the piece in a design you like. They are both made with Little Loafers clay. It is about the whitest clay you can get besides porcelain.
This square platter is about 11 1/2" square. I will make four plates to go with it and paint them all with an oriental design to be used with stirfry. I used a glass light cover as a mold for this one.

Here it is from the top. On the bottom I added a four inch square piece to raise it up from the table and give it some height. Next, I made a tray using an very old, very large ( turkey size) platter I found at a flea market years ago. I can't wait to paint it. I think I may paint some roses in the center.
OK, well, that's all for now. We'll keep you posted on these items as well. Let us know what you think. And thanks for stopping by.

No comments: