Wednesday, June 25, 2008

A new kind of birdhouse

Ambre and I started back to pottery class tonight. This will be the last time for a long time that we will be able to go together. It's very relaxing to just go and work in an atmosphere where you don't have a lot of disturbance going on. Everyone there is enjoying themselves as they learn to do new techniques or just learning a new hobby. Anywho! I digress. I threw a couple of things tonight. One was a bird house that I had an idea for. First I threw the house itself on the wheel, sorta like a bowl but with the top drawn in. This first picture is of the house.

As you can see it just looks like a cup with no handle. I added the log feature under the door and scratched the sides to give it a tree like look. Next I threw the top. It's shaped kinda like a cone.
To the top I added some leaves and scratched the exposed area to resemble a tree. The only thing is I forgot how fast things can dry in the classroom because of the fans, so my little roof dried out too fast to get attached to the bottom. But not to worry. When I glaze both pieces, I will rest the top on top of the bottom and let the glaze adhere them together. Believe me that will work. I know, Ambre and I forgot to take a lid off of one of my canisters, and now I have a sealed canister. Anyway, the picture at the bottom shows the completed house.
Ambre did a lot of glazing tonight at the college, so be prepared, we are going to start the kiln tomorrow after the glazes dry a little more. We should have some pics up by Friday night. Keep your fingers crossed that everything turns out OK. Have a nice evening and God Bless!!

No comments: