Monday, June 30, 2008

A Peek at Things to Come

We're firing again!! We fired a bisque load yesterday and we're firing as I write this. Tomorrow and the next two nights we will be firing glaze loads. I thought I would give you a little peek at some of the things we are working on right now.
The first is a pitcher which I made and a vase which Ambre made. I painted my pitcher to match the garlic jar in Herb Garden Crystalline. Ambre did hers in Cappacino mint.
This cute little birdhouse is one that I made. I painted it in Herb Garden and did the leaves in dark green highlighted with mint green. The bird feeder, Ambre made, but she allowed me to paint it. I think it turned out pretty good. The birdfeed will still need to be dipped in a clear glaze, and the leaves on the house will need to be painted with clear, but other than that they are ready to go into the kiln.
Here's one the bird villages that Ambre is working on. It's really time consuming on these pieces. When you use underglaze and regular glaze for that matter. If you brush it on, it has to be brushed on three times to get the maximum coverage.

Now, don't freak out!!! Ha! Ha! I know it looks kind of garish right now but once it's dipped in clear and fired, the colors with sorta of blend together and soften up a bit. Also, the bluish color on the leaves is actually light green. It has to be fired to bring out the green in it.
Here's another garish one. These are the plaque type birdhouses that I like to make sometimes. This one is supposed to resemble the sun. Hopefully when it is fired and the yellow and orange kind of blend together I will get that effect. Keep your fingers crossed.
Ambre likes to make jewelry pieces and has done some beautiful Raku pieces. I decided to try my hand at making some. I had a few made and we bisque fired them last week. When Ambre started the kiln the next day, she painted a few of my pieces and threw them in there just to see how they would turn out. Well , she sold all but one the next day. Here we have some more pieces looking very dull right now, but they well be shiny when done.

Here is a couple of close-ups of the jewelry pieces. As you can see they need to be shiny. The ones that look as if they have bumps on them, those are the crystals in the glaze that burst and cause special effects on the piece. Well, that's all for now. Just stay tuned, we should be able to share some finished pictures by Thursday or Friday. Thanks for stopping by and don't forget to leave a comment. We really love to hear from you. Jen

No comments: